A Volunteer's Vision for Sahaya

My Vision for Sahaya
My colleague Ravi Teja would tell me about an NGO he worked with on the weekends where he would teach children in the government school. I wondered what made him so enthusiastic about the organization and wanted to know more about it. He invited me along with him for one of the sessions at the school so I could see for myself.
On my first day at Sahaya I learnt that many of these children were from homes which were suffering from poverty. Many of the children have part time jobs on a paper route or delivered milk to make ends meet. However, their enthusiasm toward knowledge was unwavering. This made me realize why Ravi Teja was so passionate about teaching these children and I too wanted to help them on their journey toward education in whatever way I can.
Picture: My favorite quote in the school “Education’s purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one”.
My favorite songs in Telugu is “Chaduvu Raani Vadivani” from the old movie “Atma Bandhuvu”. The song states “What is the point of education if you don’t have kindness and compassion in your heart?”. When I look at these children who always greet me with warm smiles and genuine gratefulness, I see that they already have what many people lack; a pure heart. This quality coupled with the determination they have to get an education despite the hardships and odds they face, will definitely make these kids the next Doctors, Engineers, Teachers, Thinkers, Scientists and everything in between that could make the world a better place to live in.
Divya

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Share